Friday, April 24, 2009

Sant Jordi - Came and Left

Yesterday was by far one of the weirdest days I've had here in Spain. And I still don't have my camera- but I will on Sunday! Well, the day started out with Laura coming from Montblanc, and Sara coming from Reus- to share American peanut butter with me in the park (thanks Joni!). Laura loved her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, while Sara refused to try it. Peanut butter in Spain I guess is super expensive and not very good. Sara looked at me funny when I got celery with peanut butter and raisens (ants on a log)- out to eat. She kept taking pictures of my weirdness- which I will post when I get... Anyway. This wasn't the weird half of the day. We had a "special" Spanish class. When I walked into the auditorium.. I got super confused. Why? Because 95% of the people were Chinese. Chinese people can speak either super well in Spanish, or ultra horrible... there is no in between, I am convinced. Anyway - we listened to them read love poems in Chinese and in Spanish. And there were some other international students who read poems in Portugese, Romanian... and probably some others. Anyway I thought it was way too long of sitting there not understanding what was being read. The Chinese 'stole' the show- if you will. Towards the end this one Chinese girl got up and... sang. Gulp. Wow. It was okay to laugh because all the other Chinese people were laughing ultra hard, and she was feeding and singing off our laughter. But I was crying I was laughing so hard... she was horrible- sorry. But then- two more Chinese girls got up after her and sang one after another- and they were both - brilliant. Traditional Chinese music. It was beautiful. They were incredible. Then it ended, and we all got a fake rose. Yes. I got a rose on Sant Jordi. Everyone was excited for the food... until the "food" was only potato chips and nuts. HAHA. Sorry. Things like this just make me laugh.

No comments: