I just got back from a 1,148 mile road trip with my friend David. These are all the places we went. Unfortunately I left my camera in his car, so I can't upload pictures for a few weeks, so- in due time. But- Here was my week-
BARCELONA
-Where I met up with my friend Moroni and ate lunch, went to the Harley Davidson store, and met up with my two friends Megan and Courtney who are also from Utah, but have been in England for the past 4 months on a work-abroad, and are now traveling for their last few weeks in Europe.
-Then Moroni left. I stayed at the same hostal as Megan and Courtney for 2 nights. The first night we walked down Las Ramblas and to the Mediterranean.
-The next day Megan, Courtney, and I all went to the Sagrada Familia, and paid to go inside- which was well worth it. It was raining, so the rest of our plans were ruined. We went and got dinner later that night.
-Then they left the next day, leaving me by myself for a day in Barcelona. So I did some things that I've been meaning to do. like- go to the top of the Pedrera, or also known as Casa Mila, by the architect Gaudi. It was so amazing. Only 5 Euros to go if you are a student. So worth it. Loved it. Ate some lunch. Walked to Plaza Catalunya. Read some scriptures. Rested. I carried my huge bag with me that had all of my stuff packed in for 1 week- because I wasn't planning on going home to Tarragona this night, nor for the rest of the week. So that was a pain to carry that with me everywhere. But then I walked down Las Ramblas. I finally found a futbol jersey to buy Matthew, the missionary I'm writing, at a reasonable price- of the Barcelona team. I asked a lady at an information booth in Spanish- Do you know where "The Fish" is? of Frank Gehry? She looked at me and smiled. She drew me a map. I was super surprised she knew what I was talking about. I finished my walk down Las Ramblas and managed to lose my map. Now I was going off memory of other pictures I have seen on facebook and previous looks on the internet.. and I had a pretty good idea of where I was supposed to go. Found it. Admired it. Walked back. Rested. Caught a train to Tarrasa.
-Then Moroni left. I stayed at the same hostal as Megan and Courtney for 2 nights. The first night we walked down Las Ramblas and to the Mediterranean.
-The next day Megan, Courtney, and I all went to the Sagrada Familia, and paid to go inside- which was well worth it. It was raining, so the rest of our plans were ruined. We went and got dinner later that night.
-Then they left the next day, leaving me by myself for a day in Barcelona. So I did some things that I've been meaning to do. like- go to the top of the Pedrera, or also known as Casa Mila, by the architect Gaudi. It was so amazing. Only 5 Euros to go if you are a student. So worth it. Loved it. Ate some lunch. Walked to Plaza Catalunya. Read some scriptures. Rested. I carried my huge bag with me that had all of my stuff packed in for 1 week- because I wasn't planning on going home to Tarragona this night, nor for the rest of the week. So that was a pain to carry that with me everywhere. But then I walked down Las Ramblas. I finally found a futbol jersey to buy Matthew, the missionary I'm writing, at a reasonable price- of the Barcelona team. I asked a lady at an information booth in Spanish- Do you know where "The Fish" is? of Frank Gehry? She looked at me and smiled. She drew me a map. I was super surprised she knew what I was talking about. I finished my walk down Las Ramblas and managed to lose my map. Now I was going off memory of other pictures I have seen on facebook and previous looks on the internet.. and I had a pretty good idea of where I was supposed to go. Found it. Admired it. Walked back. Rested. Caught a train to Tarrasa.
TARRASA
Where I spent the night.
MADRID
Where we all went to the temple, and I did baptisms for the dead, which was really amazing. Where we explored town. Where I got a picture with Chubaca. -Where I wish I had more time. Where we ate sandwiches of calamary, typical food of Madrid.
ALCALA
Where I met some really nice members and slept at their house for 2 nights. Where we ate Ben and Jerry's Ice cream. Where I saw another Easter processional.
VILLAJOYOSA
Where I spent the next few nights. Where we went to a VALOR Chocolate factory- I know, right!!? Where I ate delicious food courtesy David's family.
ALICANTE
Where we went to a castle on the top of a hill.
ALTEA
Where we admired beautiful scenery and walked through town.
Where we admired beautiful scenery and walked through town.
BENIDORM
Where we attended fast and testimony meeting at church, and met the most polite 11 year old from England I have ever met. His name was James. I will explain more later, but he came and explored town with us.
... and 1,148 miles later, I am home, back in Tarragona. And I'm going to Sevilla and Granada this Thursday, and hopefully Cordoba as well.
I still can't ever thank David enough for inviting me to come along on such a wonderful trip. I loved being around his family for the past few days. I loved the scenic road trip. I love all the people I met. Southern Spain is quite different from what I know of to be Spain, or should I say Catalunya. It was my first time leaving Catalunya, and I did feel like I was somewhere else... No more - Deu! (instead of adios)... No more - m'gradaria (instead of me gustaria- I would like..)... but I still said these things anyway... Catalunya is part of my soul. But the people are different in Southern Spain- no one seems to be in a rush to do anything unlike Madrid and Barcelona, people are a lot more relaxed. I had a wonderful Semana Santa with no school. And we found Dr. Pepper- pretty cheap too, and my fridge is stuffed full of them now. And now I have to go back to school tomorrow... but only for a few days before I am off again!
Where we attended fast and testimony meeting at church, and met the most polite 11 year old from England I have ever met. His name was James. I will explain more later, but he came and explored town with us.
... and 1,148 miles later, I am home, back in Tarragona. And I'm going to Sevilla and Granada this Thursday, and hopefully Cordoba as well.
I still can't ever thank David enough for inviting me to come along on such a wonderful trip. I loved being around his family for the past few days. I loved the scenic road trip. I love all the people I met. Southern Spain is quite different from what I know of to be Spain, or should I say Catalunya. It was my first time leaving Catalunya, and I did feel like I was somewhere else... No more - Deu! (instead of adios)... No more - m'gradaria (instead of me gustaria- I would like..)... but I still said these things anyway... Catalunya is part of my soul. But the people are different in Southern Spain- no one seems to be in a rush to do anything unlike Madrid and Barcelona, people are a lot more relaxed. I had a wonderful Semana Santa with no school. And we found Dr. Pepper- pretty cheap too, and my fridge is stuffed full of them now. And now I have to go back to school tomorrow... but only for a few days before I am off again!
1 comment:
Geeze, do you ever have to go to school? Or do you just play all day? Wish I could be there with you! Miss you. Come home!
Post a Comment